Ebay Telescope Scams
Here's a great example of why people should not buy telescopes on Ebay unless they know exactly what they are doing. This seller changed the story several times when I asked questions about the scope. They first claimed it had an 11" diameter!
This scope sells new for less than $200 and used for $100. I have a better (larger, newer) model of this scope, bought on Astromart with an upgraded focuser and all the parts ($150 WITH shipping)---most parts (diagonal, eyepieces, etc.) were unused. This seller misrepresented this scope. I have politely tried to clarify the errors in the listing to the sellers great frustration. The seller told me to "leave them alone". This is exactly why NOT to buy telescopes on Ebay.
In addition, there are dozens of junk scopes sold as "Green Refractor Telescope" and any other assorted colors. The color is only the good thing about these scopes. Watch out!
Here's the listing of the "hundreds of dollars" scope:
Avoid This Type of Ebay Listing
When buying ANYTHING on Ebay always take these precautions to protect yourself:
1. Never buy from a seller that plays dumb. "It might be worth a lot but I'm not sure." If they don't know, why the "tease" line? Don't trust anyone playing dumb.
2. Insurance is optional. Don't buy from these sellers EVER. If you do not receive your item they'll say, "you should have bought insurance." Broken junk is often shipped with hope the shipping company will settle with you, the receiver. A good seller will include insurance if they feel it necessary---not make it an option.
3. NEVER buy from a seller that does not refund shipping if you are disatisfied. Sellers know you won't return an item if you must pay shipping to them and forfeit your original shipping costs.
4. NEVER post feedback until after the seller posts for you. Sellers use feedback to clobber complaining buyers. There are many Ebay sellers with LOTS of complaints who rarely get negative feedback---because they hammer unhappy buyers.
5. Never buy unless there is a stated 100% money back guarantee.
If you want to save some money purchasing used equipment, visit www.astromart.com. Herb York operates that site and he runs a very tight ship.